Saturday, June 22, 2013

Thing #5: Social Networking

Facebook

 

 
Having a Facebook page for a library is something that could really encourage kids into thinking the library (and librarian) is a lot "cooler". Instead of trying to get kids and teens to meet us on our turf, we go to them- out in cyberspace, where many of them spend their school-free hours, anyway. It would also allow parents and other community members to become actively involved instead of calling volunteers or PTA member when the we need help in library.

Despite always thinking I clicked all the right privacy settings, Facebook's public image of selling user information still unsettles me. The liability of another child or prankster posting something offensive on a school-sanctioned website that I manage is HUGE. I feel like a local news station would be on my door in minutes and that's a huge risk as a professional. As they say about posting pictures or anything else online, once it's on the Internet, it's there for eternity. Ironically, the movie about Facebook, The Social Network, says it best: "The Internet's not written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink." Even deleted pages or pictures are cached...

In my current district, all social networks are blocked by our filter, even for teachers. When I taught
a couple of years ago, some cyber-bullying was occurring on Facebook by another student's mother and grandmother. No, I didn't make a typo. It led to a massive fight, which in turn led to a major lawsuit against the school. All over something that never even happened there. I can certainly understand why school officials would be wary of opening yet another door to social media, since kids text their parents and parents text back regularly during school. Our school fully rolled out the laptop initiative, so that every student is assigned a laptop for school use. They take it home and carry it to class. Already, there have been issues with playing games during instructional time, not to mention visiting other sites that are not kosher. It's hard to be current with technology trends, while trying to keep students safe and on-task...

I liked School Library Journal, Texas Library Association, @ Your Library, and Library Centers. I am most excited about the last page, since it lists some cool ideas for school librarians, even if it's geared more to the younger age groups.

Personally, I was over Facebook before, since I suffer from FOMO- Fear of Missing Out. I get consumed by looking at all the people around me and think my life is not on target or whatnot. I never posted either, so that didn't seem to help. My mom joined last year and always has something to show me, so I get on hers every so often to see family and friend's new babies. Otherwise, I wonder if Facebook will soon be like MySpace- so 2006... I would probably opt for a different social site, though, like Google+. Less bells and whistles, as well as people I could reach, but more my speed, I think.

I have a Pinterest, which I really don't use, but I do love the site. My school librarian has a page devoted to ideas for the library- games, displays, etc. Although it's not mentioned, GoodReads is one I keep up with, since it's more for my personal progress than anyone else seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment