Monday, June 10, 2013

Thing #2: Photos and Images

Flickr


I chose to visit Flickr in order to broaden my knowledge of online image services. I have actually used Photobucket and Snapfish before, along with other free services like TinyPic and ImageShack. Although I have visited it before, I didn't have an account on Flickr. If you already have a gmail account, then it's very easy to sign in with your Google account! What is this strange site, you might ask? Flickr is a more permanent home for pictures, which a far superior system (in my opinion) for using tags, along with groups (like a community of people of folks with similar interests). There are photo contests and even resources for teachers and students. Need some images for a class PowerPoint or an online collage? Then, try the Creative Commons on Flickr! These images are public images that do not violate copyright law, which is a huge debate in education. Although the images I found were not "public images", I made sure to accredit them to their owners.

It was very easy to type in "school library display" for some future inspiration. I even found a School Library Displays group, which I was able to join quickly. My search yielded quite a few results. I could then comment with my account, like the picture, or even "share" it. Clicking on a small star quickly allows your favorites to be saved to your account. Flickr seems to like Tumblr more than blogger, so I had to play before I could find the best way to post my favorite displays. It was easiest for me to download the image and then post it using the upload tool on Blogger, since Flickr has disabled direct links to images. What is an asset, though, is you can just click on the image size you prefer, if you downloaded one too small or too big. I did this three times and admired the ease that Flickr allowed.

Since banned books usually contain some amazing novels in their collections (Yet to meet someone who hated To Kill a Mockingbird), I like this idea from booklover472. Just adding the caution tape is enough to draw some eyes!



Another great idea is to focus on a particular trend you know your readers would have trouble not, umm, "biting" into. I like puns, especially for displays, so this is a cute idea. I know my niece turned into an avid reader due to Edward from Twilight, so whatever we can do to keep them reading! Thanks, gleestormont.



My last pick is something that probably every librarian covets: a lounge. This was posted three years ago by franlhughes.  Who doesn't want a reading nook to attract more visitors and keep them? With ever shrinking budgets, they may be rarer to come by, but are just as important. My personal favorite item is the Wordle.net on the window!

No comments:

Post a Comment