Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thing #10: School Wikis

Wikis

 So much for ALL of the Intenet being posted in ink, as I posted before. Wikis, such as Wikipedia, are continuously changing sources of information. Blogs, on the other hand, are permanent. Once a person blogs, nobody else can change that information. Same goes for blog comments. Although anyone can change the information on wikis, some people create wikis that require passwords for users limiting the number of users, say for a class like my own. Using wikis in schools is an interesting concept, since it often involves student collaboration. It's a great way for teachers to monitor student note-taking, the posting of student information, and gathering all of this information in one place. Wikispaces, like PBWorks, is a free wiki website that allows educators and others to create a group space for classes or libraries.

I visited all of the wikis listed and found most to be rather sparse on postings and information. Hmm... One I found on the list of more examples of school wikis was Bookleads, a blog by Joyce Valenza. She is a teacher-librarian, so I was interested to see what she had posted. However, the library information wasn't even actually posted on the wiki! Instead, updates were found on Young Adult Lit for PA. I became very confused, because the YA Lit Guide Author was not Joyce. However, she was the workshop author. Clicking on her blog link led to... her wiki for Springfield Township High School Virtual Library! Detective work pays off. :) It has won numerous awards, but the homepage alone is truly impressive. Using Glogster, Joyce created a visual homepage with clickable links for students. Amazing!

My inspiration, Dr. Valenza

I love this format and plan to use it when I have my library! Thank you, Joyce.

No comments:

Post a Comment