Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thing #12: Microblogging

Tweet, tweet

 


So, in addition to re-joining Facebook, now I'm tweeting. Hello Twitterverse! What next? Being so mainstream is hurting my individual spirit and street cred. Seriously, though, Twitter is a short, succinct way of getting library information out there (policies, services, links, author sites, blogs to read, etc.) in a timely fashion. Being limited to 144 characters means you are micro-blogging on Twitter. My favorite thing to do? Search hashtags and retweet. I found some wonderful information about school librarians, like what a school loses (students on the losing end... again!) when there isn't a library professional anymore. Other conversations that I had to retweet for my mass following (coming after you, Justin Bieber with your zillions of followers): Public School Librarian responds to New York Times Op-Ed piece that students are not widgets, School Librarian discovers fake Blake poem, and Author Anthony Horowitz says students should spend at least one hour of quality reading time (reading for pleasure) with a full-time school librarian.

That is what I discovered in just twenty minutes! I think I found a new home on the Internet, and it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. A librarian's dream! If we could use Twitter in my school library (per adminstation approval), I would tweet regularly at least once a week about upcoming author visits, book awards, featured book and author sites, helpful sites for researching, policies in the library, and any pertinent news like check-in dates. The ideas are actually endless, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment