Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thing #16: Video Sharing

YouTube, I Tube, We All Tube?


Personally, I love YouTube. It's amazing the number of videos available. At home, I have lately started watching documentaries and even movies on this free service. For a librarian, using YouTube is like Utopia. Finding book trailers, author interviews, and other books video resources is very easy. The only downside to using YouTube, or for educators TeacherTube and SchoolTube, is wading through all the many videos to find what you want. Searching for "school librarians" led me to many videos that weren't necessarily about school librarians. My search led to many videos that weren't just about school libraries, but public and the future of all libraries.

Since I love TED talks and have watched quite a few of them, I was disappointed I didn't find a YoutTube video about school libraries. I did find a great video about budget cuts that are leading to the lack of trained librarians and the closing of libraries in schools. Students and a teachers, plus the librarian, acted out what happens when libraries in school disappear... Very eye-opening!


No comments:

Post a Comment