Monday, June 10, 2013

Thing #1: Blogging

Blogs Away


I'm a writer, sort of. What I mean is that I enjoy writing...but somehow only when I am really forced to. Or I know no one else can see it. Blogging, however, is MEANT for public consumption. I have a Tumblr account I don't really use to post pictures I like or songs I'm loving at the moment, but nobody knows who I am. I have an old Live Journal account (anyone remember those?!) that hasn't been posted on in years. I had a Facebook account that I ultimately deleted for a couple of reasons. I found myself looking at pretty pictures and playing games more than updating. Students kept "friending" me. And then there was the dreaded FOMO. However to be a successful modern librarian, this is just something I need to overcome...


So, I chose Blogger. It's one of the more popular blogging sites with easy-to-use functions. I like that you can choose a simple compose button or the more complicated HTML, which I don't really remember from high school. Otherwise, it's mainly like email, allowing you to insert links and images to your delight. There is even spellcheck for people like me whose brains run ahead of our typing fingers.

Would I blog personally if it wasn't for a class? Only if my library had its own blog! Being an educator means being found by a student or prospective employer is too easy these days.

I just discovered how to add a blogroll today! Okay, now this blogging can be quite addicting... Let's hope I don't join the masses. Or will I? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment