Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thing #20: Recess


School is out!

 


Time to explore this awesome LiveBinder, created by my professor,  Ms. Rippy. It's a wonderful resource for any teacher, but especially librarian-teachers. There are links to about a zillion pages, such as educational applications, blogs, specific area content, and ways to integrate technology into the classroom (QR codes anyone?). I love the idea of using books or other attractions in the library with QR codes. I found QR Code Generator through Google, but on the site was the option to make your QR code with a picture through a link to Visual Lead. Who could resist that? Problem is you must use either a Google+ account or Facebook log-in. Luckily, I have both. You have the option to buy an upgraded link of the QR code (WHY?!), but all I needed was to keep my pretty QR code, luckily. Would I use it again? No. Took too much time and wasn't that amazing in the end. Idea sounds better than reality. A simple QR generator is fine, but it was kind of fun to see a QR code with a picture...


QR Code for My Blog

Another one of my favorite links I found through the LiveBinder is WordFoto. You can take any photo and add words. The photo remains, but the words are integrated, keeping the shapes and colors. My only complaint is it is only available on Apple products, and most schools use Windows, simply to save money. I don't even have an iPhone. :( However, this is a wonderful idea and could be a fun project for students in the library! It does make a photo worth a thousand words, pardon the cliche. One thing I would have to caution the students about is using just one or two words. The more words used, the more unique and intriguing the photo becomes...


WordFoto courtesy of Michael M. White


No comments:

Post a Comment